Saturday, April 3, 2010

Day 3...a Poll and a Recipe!

Here is day 3 already. And today was another fine example of why I need to pre-make my meals on my days off...

I needed to stop by the store before work for some last minute Easter shopping which meant I had even less time to cook. Fortunately, I have a super-quick meal that I made up on the fly one day and I use it as a stand-by for days just like this. I've listed it here for others to try...

Recipe for So-Easy Chicken and beans:

  • 1 can of beans (any kind usually used in chili, etc.)
  • 1 cup diced cooked chicken (I like using Tyson's heat-and-eat kind)
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice
  • 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup of salsa
  • lo-fat shredded cheese

Rinse beans and place in microwave safe bowl. Add diced chicken. Add lime juice, mixing well. Blend seasonings into bean/chicken mixture and mix well. Add salsa, mixing again. Microwave 1-2 minutes (depending on microwave). Top with shredded cheese and heat for 1 minute. Enjoy! Makes 1-2 servings


I usually don't measure the ingredients, so these may need to be adjusted according to taste. For an even faster meal, I sometimes use a bit of Taco Seasoning mix instead of the other seasonings listed here. You can also add corn or tomatoes to change it up. Add lettuce and some low fat sour cream and you even have a low fat taco salad!

If anyone tries this recipe, please leave me a comment and tell me what you think. Let me know if you come up with any additions or modifications that might make it even better! Remember--I made this recipe based on my current plan which is pretty carb-restricted. There are all sort of additions for those who are not on such a plan.

Anyway, I had my first glitch in my plan--because I was running late I did not have time to make any breakfast. This left me in a quandary since fast food was my only real option. Needless to say, most places don't offer a lean meat-vegetable-legume menu! I decided that a Subway sandwich was the safest option. Turkey on whole wheat with lots of veggies. The bread was the big no-no since this is a slow carb diet, but I figured it was better than a burger and fries! I also ordered a salad to eat later with my chicken and bean casserole.

Another day with LOTS of water! No hunger problems as with day 1. I did notice I was a little more tired today than the last couple of days, but according to the "diet plan" I am using as a model, that is to be expected for the first few days as the body adjusts to the lower carb diet. Supposedly, I can expect a surge in energy in a few more days!

I've received a few comments from posters wondering what my goals are for this plan. As strange as it may sound, my goal is simply to make it through the 30 days on this stringent plan. Whatever weight I lose is a bonus since I do not want to get wrapped up in the numbers. I have always had a hard time picking a goal and sticking to it, which is why I started this blog. If others are reading what I am doing and how I am doing, then I feel a higher sense of accountability. Basically, I don't want to screw up!

Another note: my first weigh in is coming up! I plan to weigh in only once per week and will post the results when I do. Day 7 will be the first weigh in and I am looking forward to it. Look for weigh ins on days 7, 14, 21 and of course, day 30.

Last but not least, I have posted my first poll. Please take a moment to answer it and, as always, feel free to leave a comment. I will be posting new polls every few days.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't -- you are right."

No comments:

Post a Comment