Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day 22

Ah, I think I am going to like going to the gym! I went through all of the exercises that my trainer wrote up for me and included a 20-minute session on the treadmill for some cardio. All in all, I was at the gym about an hour. I saw my husband doing these wicked crunches using an exercise ball and decided to throw a few of those in, too. Yowza! What a work-out! My plan is to make it to the gym at least every other day to do the exercises my trainer set up for me. On my "off" days, I am going to hit my treadmill at home when I can. I have my first exercise goal, too. Tonight I walked at a pace of 3 miles per hour at an incline of 3 for 20 minutes. Not a hard work out by any stretch, but I want something to build up to. I want to gradually increase the time, speed and incline gradually so that I can build up to a jog. My first goal is to build up to 25 minutes at a speed of 3.5 and an incline of 5. I think that is an easy goal to shoot for and when I get there it will inspire me to push harder to the next goal.

I spent some time this evening looking on-line at calorie counts for different foods. It's back to work for me tomorrow, so I am trying to plan ahead. My trainer wants me to consume between 1500-1600 calories per day, eating 5 or 6 small meals each day. This means I need to know how many calories I am consuming when I have my "mini" meals. She told me that my protein drinks are fine and that I cannot "save up" my calories! I am supposed to aim for 250-350 calories in my "mini" meals, so I am trying to plan accordingly.


Since my husband is now inspired to eat better as well, I am trying to find meals for the both of us--a daunting task, indeed! To make it even more difficult, my goal is to lose weight while his is to gain muscle. As a result, our eating habits will be different as well. He is supposed to eat more nuts, eggs and protein while I am supposed to increase my fruits and vegetables and watch fat content.

I am sure I have mentioned previously that my husband is not a big vegetable fan, but he has agreed to eat more salads. The challenge is salad dressing. Judging by the poll results so far, most people seem to agree that fat-free salad dressings are gross. I tried once to make homemade fat-free Ranch dressing and the results were a thick, disgusting substance that I just did not wish to ingest. My theory had been that if homemade Ranch tastes so much better than store-bought, the same must be true of fat-free versions. Yeah. Not so much...

So, here is what I did: I tried the homemade thing again, only this time I used 1/2 cup of real, full-fat mayonnaise with 1/2 cup of the disgusting low fat crap (aptly named, if I do say so myself). I know using full-fat mayo is increasing the fat and calorie content, but if it gets my husband to eat a salad it will be worth it to me! I stuck with the non-fat milk since I didn't view the milk as the culprit in my last homemade attempt. I will post the results tomorrow...

I will post a recipe tomorrow. Still looking for that quiche recipe, but even if I can't find that one, I will post something tomorrow since I am long over-due for a recipe.

If you haven't already done so, please take a moment to answer my poll. It will end soon and I have the next one ready to go.

Maybe I should have added mayonnaise to the list of most disgusting fat-free items....

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't -- you are right."

1 comment:

  1. Try an olive oil vinaigrette for a salad dressing -I especially like sundried tomato. Olives have the "good fats" that our body needs. And don't let your husband's higher protein diet fool you to thinking he should get a pass from the veggies - edamame and various other beans and legumes are very high in protein. And you need protein as well, to help fuel your weight loss and build muscle.

    Best of luck,
    Cassandra
    http://pathtowellness2010.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete