Thursday, April 29, 2010

Day 28


Okay, so I am going to have to stop labeling my posts by days now that I have officially decided to keep this blog going beyond the original 30 days. I figure April 30th will be my last "numbered" post. Now I will have to come up with something a little more creative!

Now, some exciting news first: I just found out that a blog I wrote on Shine (from Yahoo!) has been selected as an "Editor's pick". It is a piece I wrote that pertains to this blog, so I am super-excited about it! Sometimes it is the little things that makes one's day. I mean, I am just giddy with excitement right now, even though it is a small thing. Maybe I will write another blog for Shine...

Today was not a hugely eventful day. I did manage to do a little exercise, just not at the gym. I did some walking which I figured was better than nothing. I also went grocery shopping and I was pleasantly surprised to find that, not only were my food choices quite sensible, but it was a whole lot easier to shop than it has
been in recent weeks. It occurred to me that the reason for this is because I am already learning my food labels and already know what I should buy. This may seem like a small thing, but believe me--I see it as a huge step to making permanent, long-lasting changes.

Oh, and I still cannot find my Special K fruit crisps anywhere. I went to two different stores tonight in my vain search to find them. I guess I really don't need the processed food, but I sure miss them!

And on a side note, I kept having to pull my damned pants up the whole time I was shopping. A sign of weight loss? I sure hope so! But I am sticking to my promise not to weigh in again until I meet with my trainer again, which will be next Tuesday.

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and IndonesiaNot to stray too off topic, but I have to make a comment about the book I am reading, "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. I have never had a book cause so many emotions for me before! I am only on chapter 9 (and they are very short chapters, in case you haven't read it already), but I have never experienced a book quite like this before. I can relate to the author on so many levels (for example, it turns out we were both going through our respective divorces at the very same time). At the same time, I have never had the kind of "luck" she seems to have (a hint--chapter 8 reveals something about her luck). I started a journal of sorts, jotting down my thoughts and feelings as I read this. I can't explain it, but I felt compelled to do so. This book just has me mesmerized right now!

Tomorrow is back to work--again. I really feel like I needed more time off this week than what I had. At least I feel more prepared, food-wise. I am trying to be more conscientious this week about my fruit and vegetable intake. I am finally getting the hang of planning my 5-6 meals each day and staying within my 1500-1600 calorie range, I just need more fruit and vegetables than what I have been eating. The great part about the smaller meals is that I can't seem to eat as much as I used to. No more stuffing myself silly! I like it!

Thank you to everyone who has answered my poll and to those who have taken the time to post a comment. I truly value your feedback and comments! And Cassandra--what can I say? You have been my biggest cheerleader so far and have kept pushing me and feeding me advice and for that a big THANK YOU!

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't -- you are right."

3 comments:

  1. Great big warning here. When you step on the scale with your trainer next time. Please, do not get discouraged if it turned out you haven't lost a lot of weight (even though your pants have tried to migrate south on you). Hopefully, you have burned fat and are building muscle. Pound of fat and pound of muscle weigh the same (you would not believe some of the people who say otherwise), but the pound of muscle takes up a lot less space on you.
    Oh, that CalorieKing website your trainer recommended? They have diet/exercise tracker software that I think is worth every penny. Between this blog and that software I don't think you'd need to join their members only area. Get yourself a step-counter, if you don't already have one. An inexpensive one and wear it from the moment you get up until you go to bed and write down (in the software if you get it) your steps every day.
    Have you considered switching from the diet meal replacement shake to something like Boost, or it's store brand equivalent, for those days on the job when you can't get to a microwave or have no time to make breakfast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you find you have to "resort" to frozen dinners from time to time, save the tray to use with your regular meals. They are microwaveable and can help with portion control.
    You can get your fruits and veggie servings from a can (considering how crazed it seems to be at work for you, more often than not, this might be a good idea -- if you aren't allergic). Minute Maid oj is just that, concentrated juice and water. V8 counts as at least one veggie serving depending on if you drink the 6 oz or the 11 oz and both are no fat and less calories than a regular can of soda. Plus they have a low sodium option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, I think you're doing really well. The enthusiasm with which you've embraced this has been just inspiring. Getting onboard changes like this is one of the hardest parts, and you're doing great.

    Getting your fruits and veggies may seem hard, but it's not. Look at how big a serving of veggies really is. Now make one of your "meals" a salad with 3 oz of chicken breast (140 cals), a couple cups of fresh chopped spinach (20 cals), a diced medium tomato (20 cals), a diced celery stalk (10 cals), one cup diced cucumber (15 cals), half a medium apple (30 cals), and a tablespoon of vinaigrette (30 cals) - I'm not even at 300 calories yet, and that's a buttload of servings of vegetables (with some fruit tossed in!) that are high in fibre and nutrients, plus your protein from the chicken. Now add 3 oz of baby carrots to another meal (35 cals, btw) - there's another serving. Have an apple or orange with your breakfast and there's another serving. Suddenly, you're at 7-10 without even thinking about it.

    And being able to be your cheerleader has been a big help for me as well - it's always easier to be on this path if you don't feel like you're on it alone!

    Keep it up!
    Cassandra
    http://pathtowellness2010.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete