Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Day 13...and Starbucks is Kicking my A**

Ok, I cannot seem to break my Starbucks habit. That seems to be the one thing that is kicking my butt in my efforts to lose weight. I will admit that I bought one of my delicious toffee nut mochas today, convincing myself that it was my breakfast (and therefore somehow ok). Of course when I became hungry a couple of hours later, my "breakfast" choice didn't seem to be a very good one. Of course, it would have been better to get up earlier and make myself some oatmeal instead...

I am really dreading weigh-in tomorrow. I am pretty sure I am not going to like what I see. I will weigh-in, take my licks and then formulate a new strategy. I am not giving up!

I keep hearing that losing weight is the easy part--keeping it off is the hard part, but I am having a really hard time with that concept! This is hard! I am trying to find the motivation to get back on track and get going. I don't want to be fat--I want to be thin and attractive again! I know how I got here, now I am just trying to figure out how to get out of it and back on track to a better way of life. When did my battle with food begin? What happened? I used to be thin!

So, on that note I am back to square one: I will weigh in tomorrow, post the humilation here and then get back on track. I need to find a way to stay away from the Starbucks, but it's hard. I am beginning to think I need to start all over with this blog since I have strayed so far off course. 30 days is not going to be enough to determine anything.

I am off to see if I can find what motivates me. Any suggestions out there??

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't -- you are right."

3 comments:

  1. I feel like I'm just becoming a pest - I hope not, and I hope you can use the advice I'm giving you.

    Everyone has their Achilles heel. Mine is coffee as well - and like any true-blue Canadian, it's Tim Hortons, not Starbucks - and I decided early on that I was not giving up my coffee. After all, any weight loss plan *has to be sustainable.* If you can't see yourself going without those drinks for the rest of your life, then it won't work now.

    Here's how you compromise though. Are you picking the low-cal, low-fat option for your drink? What size are you getting? If you normally get a large, switch to a small. Make sure you order with nonfat milk instead of cream (I have no idea what this drink is, so I'm shooting in the dark here) Use sweetener instead of sugar. Let yourself have your indulgence, but make sure it is as non-detrimental to your diet as possible. And absolutely no more than one a day, less if you can handle it. And *it is not a meal replacement.* Meals have nutrients, vitamins, protin, fibre, and boost our metabolism - coffee does not. I usually have a good healthy breakfast, then pick my coffee up on the way to work.

    I love your blog and your journey, because think it is showing people that this isn't a thirty-day commitment. And losing weight isn't the easy part - losing it is the hard part, because that's the part that requires you to start changing your lifestyle. There is no "formula" for weight loss - it's just figuring out how to make those lifestyle changes something that work for you. And I know you can do it.

    Cheers,
    Cass
    http://pathtowellness2010.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally sympathize with you on not being able to give up your favorite Starbucks. But as you did with the muffins the other day, how about if you look up how many calories/fat/carbs each drink has, and see if that helps to discourage you from it?

    Also, from my experience, eating healthier became easier once I started exercising. One, exercise made me less hungry for some reason. Two, exercising and finding out that you need to run fairly hard for ONE WHOLE hour just to burn 600 calories made me realize how difficult it was to burn frivolous calories from unhealthy snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great points, thanks to both of you!

    And Cassandra, I hear you about not making my coffee a meal replacement. I am finding out the hard way that the idea doesn't work as well as I would like!

    ReplyDelete