Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Day 14 and Another Weigh-in

Well, this week has certainly not been the success that last week was. While I was pleasantly surprised to find that I did actually lose a pound this week, I am disappointed that I have struggled as much as I have. This seems to have been the week for struggling with old habits that die hard...really hard!

I had a couple of posts here with suggestions about my Starbucks addiction and they came at a great time. Strangely enough, I had a friend suggest some of the same ideas: try low-fat or sugar free, but continue to "indulge". My friend (who is a very big fitness buff) told me that he drinks a Venti Starbucks mocha every day and I was so surprised since he always eats so healthy and is very big into exercise. It is his one indulgence that he allows himself every day and he tries to use the no-sugar syrups and non-fat varieties at least every other day. It gave me such hope! So I just had to try an experiment--I went to Starbucks and ordered my delicious toffee nut mocha in the fat-free form. I really expected it to not taste so good, but when I tried it I was amazed at how good it was. I was practically dancing for joy since this means I can keep my delicious drink but still conform to a healthier way of living just by making it fat-free. I think this could be just the breakthrough I needed!

I had a good work-out today. Did a lot of walking and climbing and I felt myself getting a good work-out. I think I can finally get back on track now that I have a few things resolved in my mind. I went grocery shopping tonight and I was happy with what I bought for meals. I feel pretty confident that meals will be tasty but healthy and, therefore, getting me back on track.

Oh! Something else my friend told me--my choice of ready-to-drink meal replacement was a good choice for those "pinch" moments. With his seal of approval, I bought more tonight.

All in all, I feel like I can finally get back to the mind-set I need to be in to be back on track. The struggle with my Starbucks indulgence seems to have a peaceful resolution that is livable. I am happy with the one-pound loss. I feel like this blog is helping me to sort through the changes I need to make for permanent lifestyle habits. I know this is supposed to be a 30 day blog, but I am trying to decide where to take it after that. Maybe I will save that for tomorrow...

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't -- you are right."

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you've worked this out! I know sometimes things like this can seem like the mountains standing in our path - when really, they're just a grain of sand.

    And a one pound loss in a week is nothing to feel bad about. All of the experts will tell you *sustainable* weight loss usually occurs at a rate of 1-2 pounds per week (unless you're morbidly obese, which you're not). So be happy with your success! 5 pounds down!

    Good luck with the upcoming week!
    Cassandra
    http://pathtowellness2010.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete