Friday, April 23, 2010

Day 23 -- One Week Left?

Today is Day 23, which means there is supposed to be only one week left of this blog...

But really, I feel like I am just getting started! I feel like the first three weeks of this journey was sort of a discovery phase and now I feel like I am finally finding my bearings. I guess I will just need to re-name this blog...re-name it what, though??

I was in a foul mood this morning that took me a while to shake. I woke up starving, which really wasn't surprising since I had gone to bed hungry. I had some oatmeal and berries (blueberries and raspberries) and was so disappointed in the berries. They were so sour! Adding to my frustration was the fact that I had paid so much money for them. I added some Splenda, but it just didn't help much. I had a couple of protein shakes, a salad (more on the salad later) and some grilled chicken and vegetables for my day. Oh yes--my Morning Star chicken sandwich that I have really come to enjoy!

Well, I still cannot find my recipe for the delicious vegetable quiche. I have an e-mail to a friend asking if she still has it and, if so, could she send it to me. I will keep looking (I have a feeling it is being used as a bookmark somewhere!) In the meantime, I have a tasty alternative to fried chicken that I use all the time that I thought I would share:

Garlic & Herb Oven-Fried Chicken

1 cup Garlic & Herb flavored bread crumbs (I use Progresso brand)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1-2 tablespoon reduced-calorie margarine
1 egg, beaten
Cooking spray (ie: Pam)
Parmesan cheese (optional)


Preheat oven to 375. Spray a glass baking dish with cooking spray. Put bread crumbs in a medium bowl. Melt margarine and add to bread crumbs, mixing well. Beat egg in a small mixing bowl. Dip chicken breasts into egg then add to bread crumb mixture, completely coating each piece. Place in baking dish. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, if desired. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until done.I make this all the time for my family when I need a quick and easy meal. I usually throw some rice in my rice cooker while the chicken is baking and serve with green beans for a healthy meal. It is so good that they still don't know that it is good for them! In another post I will share my recipe for my savory chicken rice that I usually serve with this chicken. It is super-yummy!

I said I would post the results for my Ranch dressing and so today I tried it. It turned out much better than the gelatinous disgusting mess I made before. So 1/2 cup low-fat mayo, 1/2 cup regular mayo and 1 cup skim milk is the trick! I had some on my salad (with a bit of shrimp--yummy!) and I actually enjoyed it.

Tomorrow is back to the gym. I am looking forward to it, just hating the soreness! Today my arms were so sore! And it seems like I am making it worse--it hurts more each time I do my routine! Maybe I should be waiting longer between sessions?

So, that has to be all for now. I have work to do, so I need to wrap this up. But never fear--I will be back with all the gory details of tomorrow!

Until then....

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't -- you are right."

1 comment:

  1. Are you remembering to stretch well? Most post-workout soreness comes from not stretching adequately, so make sure you spend a minimum of ten minutes on stretching, and more if you can. Learn which muscles you're using, and how to stretch each individually (remembering each stretch should be held 20-45 seconds). You can even stretch between exercises or between sets - my legs routine, for instance, I usually have to stop and stretch three or four times! And it's rare that I get through a session with Shawn without stretching a few times, and then stretching at the end.

    On your oatmeal - try some unsweetened applesauce, cinnamon, and vanilla - my favourite combo!

    ReplyDelete